Monday, May 9, 2016

CD Voyage A-5 America

America - The Complete Greatest Hits (2001)


America complete greatest hits.jpgWhy this CD:  It's mine.  I'd always like America, particularly the Gerry Beckley songs, so I bought this a few years ago.

CD Thoughts:  I often forget about Dan Peek's contributions to the band since Dewey Bunnell and Beckley had lead vocals on and wrote the bigger hits.  He added a more country rock feel before leaving in 1977.  I particularly enjoyed listening to "Woman Tonight", that Peek composed, a kind of reggae-flavored song that features all three guys trading off vocals.  I looked the song up on YouTube and found a cute video of them singing it on some show called Supersonic.  I've always liked songs from any band that display everyone's talents.  This CD seems to have been heavily remixed in spots, because some of the songs sound different, although I'm pretty sure there aren't any new recordings involved.  "Sister Golden Hair" especially caught my ear as sounding a little different, probably because I've heard it so many times on the radio.  It's still a great song, as is "Daisy Jane."  "Right Before Your Eyes" was always a favorite of mine, too, and I was surprised it wasn't a bigger hit when it was released.  I remember hearing it on the radio quite a bit, although it was more of an Adult Contemporary hit and didn't make the Top 40.  Are there stations that play AC hits anymore?  When I worked at an AC station in Louisville in the 90s and beyond, we hardly played anything that wasn't #1) at least a few years old, or #2) a softer, already established Top 40 hit.  I don't see how anything even breaks anymore.  I don't know of many adult rock stations either that aren't Classic Rock.  This whole CD listening thing is very stream of consciousness for me.  So, America.

Takeaway:  This is a nice compilation. I should probably check out some of their earlier albums, the ones produced by George Martin.  I listened to some of the late 70s stuff on Spotify and enjoyed it.  America is a pleasant listen, nice for chilling in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment